Soups and stews can be an easy, healthy way to add more nutrition to your meals and snacks. These healthy recipes can help fuel your active lifestyle, boost your immune system, and help you recover from a run on those chilly Winter days. Each of these recipes serve up nutrient-dense portions, a healthy dose of calories for recovery, and protein to help build and repair your active muscles.
Fall Harvest Butternut Squash & White Bean Soup
This soup brings together Fall flavors and optimal nutrition for a warm, cozy soup that you can have any time of day.
- 2 lb Butternut Squash
- 3/4 can or 1 can (15.5 oz) White Cannellini Beans
- 3 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Whole Milk or Non-Dairy Alternative
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- Black Pepper to Taste
- Soften squash in a covered microwave safe dish with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook on high about 5-7 minutes or until soft.
- Add beans to microwave safe dish and cook an additional 1-2 minutes covered until soft.
- Combine squash, beans, broth, and milk in a high powered blender. Blend on high until thoroughly blended into a purée.
- At this time, add syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Blend thoroughly. Can add extra to taste.
- To heat, add to a saucepan and heat to murky boil at medium-high heat until heated through.
Chicken Farro Soup
The traditional favorite with a twist. Farro offers this soup whole grains that are packed with protein, fiber, iron, and b vitamins.
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 White Onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp Garlic
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Chicken Breasts - cooked and shredded
- 1.5 cups Farro, cooked
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat a dutch oven or large stockpot to medium high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and saute until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the stock and spices. Bring to a slow boil for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the shredded chicken and farro.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread.