When people think about training at home, they believe that they should have a lot of equipment such as barbells, plates, and even a full rack. Don't be mistaken. These items would be great to have, but you don't have to depend on them to have a great workout. Whether you're a school athlete or a fitness rookie, keep this checklist of only five items and start seeking them out. You'll be amazed at what little you need to make the most out of your at-home training.
Whether it's the kind that have the handles on the ends or the full round variety, bands are great assets. They offer positive resistance when you contract the muscles while minimizing the toll on your joints and tendons when decreasing the tension.
You're going to rely on many bodyweight movements such as squats, mountain climbers, pushups, and lunges. Vests offer extra resistance for these bodyweight exercises so they can become more challenging. You can focus on strength gains as well as endurance improvement.
Kettlebells provide you with a way to perform circuit workouts, endurance training, and a different free weight option than dumbbells or barbells and plates. You can hold them by the handle at the top or by the sides which are known as the "horns". Exercises like goblet squats, kettlebell swings, and pullovers are possible thanks to the kettlebell.
Yes, the same sliders you would use to move a couch or refrigerator. This one is different, but they can help you train areas like hamstrings by doing leg curls on your back or offer a twist on pushups or ab exercises. They can be found in any hardware store.
The exercise ball can provide you with more abdominal exercise options or serve as a seat or bench for some movements. They take up space, but they are worth it because of the variety they can add to your exercise arsenal.
Sample Full Body Home Workout
- Pushups with Feet Up on Exercise Ball - 3 sets of 15-20 reps
- Kettlebell Pullover - 3 sets of 15-20 reps
- Band Curls - 2 sets of 15-20 reps
- Overhead Extension with Kettlebell - 2 sets of 15-20 reps
- Band Pull-Apart - 2 sets of 15-20 reps
- Goblet Squat with Vest - 3 sets of 20 reps
- Lying Leg Curl with Furniture Sliders - 3 sets of 20 reps
- Standing Calf Raise with Vest - 3 sets of 20 reps per leg
- Exercise Ball Sit-ups - 3 sets of 20 reps
*Rest 30-45 seconds between sets
- The Bedroom Bodyweight Workout
- The Best At-Home Exercises For Young Athletes to Stay in Shape
- 10-Minute Ab Workout You Can Do Anywhere