Welcome to the EMOM CRAZE.
More often than not, you see traditional EMOMS (every minute on the minute) in which you perform a few exercises on the top of each minute for a set number of rounds.
Well, I have a new spin for you.
I find that adding this type of workout to a SINGLE exercise can accumulate density and produce lasting effects of muscle growth and growth hormone, ultimately giving you a new type of training stimulus that can be great for your programs!
This descending MINUTE EMOM can actually help you build muscle, burn fat and leave you with a massive EPOC burn!
EMOM: 10 Reps of each, 15-20 meters on the Carry * Rest 1 minute between each EMOM.
x 9: 50% of Bodyweight Goblet Squats ( 85# for myself ) x 10 reps
x 7: KB Deficit Push-Ups to Farmer's Carry ( Heavy KB's Can be Used Here! ) x 10 + Carry
x 5: Double KB RDL x 10 reps
x 3: SL Bulgarian 1.5 Rep Squats to Jumps x 5 of EACH
x 1: Weighted Wall Sit
You can see the full version here:
The keys here are sticking to the rest periods, which are exactly 60 seconds between each EMOM. To add an additional challenge, load a sled with twice your body weight and after your 1-minute Wall Sit head straight to it and go for a 50-meter Push! Your whole body will thank me later!
I found this way of doing an EMOM to help those who either:
- Go to a crowded gym and don't have the ability to jump from one thing to the next.
- Get more out of a density type workout and do not enjoy circuits and/or super-setting.
- Like more of a mental challenge, because let's be real, 9 sets of Goblet Squats at 50% of your body weight isn't easy for anyone!
Give this exercise a go and let me know what you think! Follow me @mjo_oaf for more workouts you can do anywhere, anytime, with minimal equipment by subscribing to me on @playbook_app.
Photo Credit: baona/iStock
READ MORE FROM MIKE OVER:
- Get Ripped With This Unconventional Barbell Workout
- Get a Killer Core Workout With Nothing More Than a Resistance Band
- This 30-Minute, 300-Rep Workout Will Torch Your Glutes