I'm a huge fan of developing the core through regular strength workouts, whether it's Squats, Deadlifts or accessory exercises, each have their role when it comes to core strength.
However, many people fail to realize that the muscles of your core are just like any other body part. Progressive overload is key to building that six-pack!
This is where more specialized exercises come into play.
I'd like to share one of my favorite quick core circuits that utilizes nothing more than a resistance band. I call it the Banded Six-Pack Shredder, and it'll have your abs burning from the very first set!
This circuit WILL make you sore, so be aware this is an advanced core workout and should only be done if you've already mastered Hollow Holds!
- Band-Resisted Hollow V-Up x 10 Reps
- Table Top Band-Resisted Crunch x 10 Reps
- Hollow Hold Side-to-Side Band Touches x 10 Reps
- Band-Resisted Reverse Crunch x 10 Reps
- Band-Resisted Straight Leg Heel To Heaven x 10 Reps
- Band-Resisted Hollow Hold Flutters With Side Bend x 10 Reps
Go 3-6 rounds, resting a full 90-120 seconds between each round.
Remember, quality is key, so focus on getting quality reps. If you fall short, don't sweat it and work up to longer sessions as you build strength!
For more awesome workouts, follow me @mjo_oaf!
Photo Credit: yacobchuk/iStock
- Why Core Stiffness Matters More Than Core Strength
- Why 'Anti' Movements Are an Athlete's Key to Functional Core Strength
- 15 Core Strengthening Exercises for Athletes