On Jan. 14, Rio de Janeiro will be the hot spot for UFC 142, a huge event featuring a slew of tough Brazilian fighters. The main event will be a world featherweight championship fight between the current champ, Jose Aldo, and contender Chad Mendes.
Aldo is one of the best fighters in the world and a favorite among his fellow Brazilians. He has a record of 20-1 with 12 knockouts, including victories over some of the toughest battlers in the UFC. He is a dynamic competitor with devastating speed and extremely accurate striking. Mendes will be severely challenged to take the belt, although he is also a strong fighter, unbeaten at 11-0, and Aldo's toughest opponent to date.
Also on the card is a middleweight matchup between rising star Anthony Johnson and UFC veteran and Brazilian champ Vitor Belfort. Belfort, the heavy favorite, is 5-1 in his last six fights, losing only to Anderson Silva. Johnson is also 5-1 in his last six fights, but he has not faced the same level of competition as Belfort. The winner will jump another notch closer to challenging Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight belt.
Also on the main card:
- Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Massenzio
- Erick Silva vs. Carlo Prater
- Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim
- Thiago Tavares vs. Sam Stout
- Paulo Thiago vs. Mike Pyle
- Fabio Maldonado vs. Caio Magalhaes
- Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
- Yuri Alcantara vs. Michihiro Omigawa
- Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio Carvalho
- Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle
Get UFC 142 on Pay-Per-View on Saturday, Jan. 14. Tune in at 10 p.m. EST for an excellent event from Rio.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock